[Fedora-legal-list] TrueCrypt

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri May 16 20:20:46 UTC 2008

Luke Macken wrote:
> I'm wondering if the latest TrueCrypt license is acceptable for
> Fedora.
>
>    http://www.truecrypt.org/legal/license
>
> I know there have been issues with various ambiguities in the past,
> but the rumor on the street is that their license has drastically
> improved.

I think this part make it unacceptable (I didn't even look much
further):

II. Terms and Conditions for Use, Copying, and Distribution

1. You may copy and/or distribute This Product, provided that You do
not modify This Product (for terms and conditions for copying and
distribution of modified versions of This Product, see Chapter III)

Chapter III does allow modified versions to be distributed if they are
not called Truecrypt, along with a number of other requirements.  And
there is an exclusion for operating system vendors, but that still
requires unmodified source to be what is built.

It don't smell like a free nor open-source software license to me. :)

First, God created idiots. That was just for practice. Then He created
school boards.
    -- Mark Twain