[Fedora-legal-list] TrueCrypt

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri May 16 20:31:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 16:20 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Chapter III does allow modified versions to be distributed if they are
> not called Truecrypt, along with a number of other requirements.  And
> there is an exclusion for operating system vendors, but that still
> requires unmodified source to be what is built.
>
> It don't smell like a free nor open-source software license to me. :)

Yeah, thats a really crappy provision. Software we can't patch is
difficult to maintain.

The documentation requirements in III.1.b are overbearing and III.1.d
are practically impossible for us to meet as worded.

Of course, we don't have to comply by anything in III.1, because Fedora
is an "operating system vendor", I suppose, but this license spins in
loops on itself. I'm betting it comes back as non-free, but I'll send it
along for formal judgement.

~spot