[Fedora-legal-list] Linux firmware

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 02:55:35 UTC 2009

On 04/29/2009 10:26 PM, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Given all the opinions you volunteered as to this problem, it was just
> reasonable for me to assume that you were (i) as aware of the issue as
> Red Hat legal is, and (ii) misguided as to its seriousness, for people
> who take legal issues seriously don't go about making guesses and
> dismissing issues before knowing facts.

My psychic powers not withstanding, you really shouldn't make
assumptions. Something about an ass, you, and me...

I was honestly under the impression you were pitching a hypothetical
scenario, which is why the "copyright holder" wasn't mentioned
explicitly, and you didn't point out specific files.

As to the upstream Linux kernel having firmware, yes, it does. However,
rather than hacking it to pieces in Fedora, we'd much prefer to see such
cleanup efforts done upstream. But you knew that already, yet you're
content to continue beating this long dead horse wherever possible.

I'm really done with it now.

~spot