[Fedora-legal-list] License for programs and data that can only be used in GPL/LGPL/BSD/PD applications?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 04:12:29 UTC 2009

On 08/02/2009 08:39 PM, Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in importing voice data of gcin (Yet another Chinese input system) to Fedora.
> However, the README of the voice data states (translated to English):
>
> This data is recorded by sprec. This voice data can only be used in
> GPL, LGPL, BSD and Public Domain software.
> Data files converted/extended from this voice data should also follow this term.
>
> What license should we put for this kind of software/data?

That license is not enough for us to consider it acceptable for Fedora.

If it is software, it is definitely not free. If it is content, it does
not give us permission to freely redistribute it.

Can you ask the upstream copyright holder for that voice data if they
will do one of the following:

* License it under the GPL or LGPL. (I think this will accomplish their
intent in a much cleaner way)
* License it under one of our listed Free Software Licenses here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses

If neither of those are feasible, try:

* License it under one of our approved content licenses:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses_3

If that is still not acceptable to them, find out if they will give
everyone permission to freely redistribute these files without
restriction. That's the bare minimum for content in Fedora.

~spot