[Fedora-legal-list] Fedora content downstream at Wikipedia

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 07:20:45 UTC 2009

I'm considering the idea[1] of taking (part of) this canonical page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_contributions

... and maintaining it downstream at, e.g.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_software_contributions

On the face of it, the source content is the same license as
Wikipedia.  Maintaining the Wikipedia page as a downstream is as
simple as copy + paste, then watch the canonical page and update the
downstream page as appropriate.

But there is an additional clause in contributing content to
Wikipedia, that it be contributed under the GFDL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright#Contributors.27_rights_and_obligations

  If you contribute text directly to Wikipedia, you thereby license it
  to the public for reuse under CC-BY-SA and GFDL (unversioned, with
  no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts).

If I were the copyright holder for the Fedora content in question, I
would just accept that.  However, the [[Red Hat contributions]] page
on the Fedora wiki is definitely an aggregate work.[2] Interestingly,
it appears the vast majority of the contributions are from Red Hat
employees.

If copyright holder permission is required or preferred, we could
obtain it and put a notice on the page that future contributions are
going to be relicensed at Wikipedia under ... the GFDL specifically?
Yeah, specifics make more sense.

How to handle all this?

Thanks - Karsten

[1] Not being sure about the cultural stance of being @redhat.com and
    doing this, I've requested help on the subject here:

    http://iquaid.org/2009/12/14/how-can-we-share-some-love-about-red-hat-with-wikipedia

[2] Full history for this page on this wiki:

    https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Red_Hat_contributions&limit=500&action=history

    There is a copyright history that goes back to the previous wiki.
    We can obtain that list, if needed. :)

uri:                  http://quaid.fedorapeople.org