[Fedora-legal-list] question on a new license in a new package.

Mike Christie mchristi at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 16:12:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

The HBAAPI project:
http://hbaapi.sourceforge.net/
uses a license called the SNIA Public License Version 1.0. In the source
header there is this:

  * License:
  *      The contents of this file are subject to the SNIA Public License
  *      Version 1.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in
  *      compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the
License at
  *
  *      /http://www.snia.org/English/Resources/Code/OpenSource.html
  *
  *      Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS"
  *      basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See
  *      the License for the specific language governing rights and
limitations
  *      under the License.

The problem is that this SNAI licsense is not listed under good licenses
here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing
so I wanted to get it cleared, but the link to the license in the
headers is a dead link.

If the maintainers of the code do not have a copy of the license and the
people at SNIA do not respond to emails about it, what are my options?
If I find something on google in another project that says it is the
snia public license 1.0, can I include it with the source and send to
you guys to get cleared? What if I cannot find 1.0 (I can find 1.1 but
not 1.0)?

Do I just have to ditch the sourceforge project and write code from
scratch and license it how I want?

Thanks

Mike