[Fedora-legal-list] Legal CD/DVD/BD writing software for RedHat and Fedora

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:30:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Joerg
Schilling<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> I am not going to re-introduce a license that acording to the private
> interpretation from the initiator of the fork is not a valid OSS license,
> so the GPL is no option.

Where do you get the idea that the Debian maintainers feel the GPL is
not a valid OSS license?  They've not maintained that either the GPL
or the CDDL are non-free, they're saying they're incompatible.  Again,
from the webpage[1]:

"While the CDDL *may* be a free license, we never questioned if it is
free or not, as it is not our place to decide this as the Debian
cdrtools maintainers. However, having been approved by OSI doesn't
mean it's ok for any usage, as Jörg unfortunately seems to assume.
There are several OSI-approved licenses that are GPL-incompatible and
CDDL is one of them. That is and always was our point."

The GPL is a free OSS license.  The CDDL is a free OSS license.  They
are not compatible with each other and code licensed on them cannot be
used together.  Your software is problematic from a licensing
perspective.  The personalities of the Debian maintainers are not
germane to this discussion.  Please present fact-based reasons for
your disagreement and justification for the use of your software in a
GPL environment.  Your opinions about the Debian maintainers are
irrelevant.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/198171/

--
Chris