[Fedora-legal-list] Legal CD/DVD/BD writing software for RedHat and Fedora

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Jun 12 23:10:06 UTC 2009

"Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Joerg >
>
> > The FSF has no relevence in this case as the FSF does not hold
> > any Copyright on the related code. The text on the FSF web pages
> > was written by laymen and does not contain legal based explanations.
>
> Please take this as constructive criticism.  This statement here is
> why no one is taking you seriously.  You claim the FSF has no
> relevance despite the fact that you used *their* license.  The FSF is
> full of lawyers in whose opinion *their* license says is not
> compatible with the CDDL and thus you are mistaken when you say it is.

I did talk with one of them (Eben Moglen) and he did confirm that the claims
on the FSF web page are wrong. They are made for political reasons.

> You also claim that cdrkit is "illegal".  Your older cdrtools is
> licensed under the GPL, the derivative work, cdrkit, is likewise, in
> compliance with the GPL, also licensed under the GPL.  Saying it's
> illegal is absurd on its face.

You do not listen to the facts, are you interested in a fact based discussion?

If you are able to mention any valid legal agrument, you are of course welcome.

For now, it seems that you are just one of the laymen that is unable to
give any proof for his claims. If you believe that there is a license problem
in the original software, use valid quotes from the original GPL text.
Unfortunately, you quote claims from the FSF that are in conflict with the
GPL text.

The code in question is licensed under the GPL. The GPL FAQ from the FSF you did
quote is no license text and it is in conflict with the GPL text.

Jörg