[Fedora-legal-list] OpenCascade Public License again

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 20:12:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz> wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway píše v Čt 26. 02. 2009 v 13:28 -0500:
>> On 2009-02-26 at 9:59:36 -0500, Dan Horák <dan at danny.cz> wrote:
>> > Hi Spot,
>> >
>> > you will probably remember that you were checking the OpenCascade Public
>> > License few moth ago. Now the question about its free/nonfree status was
>> > opened on the upstream forum and it would be a good chance to express
>> > our (or better RH Legal's) reasons that led to the decision that it is
>> > non-free and possibly make upstream to resolve them.
>> >
>> > I am including the mail I got from Debian packagers.
>> >
>> > URL of the discussion is
>> > http://www.opencascade.org/org/forum/thread_15859/
>>
>> Dan, I've posted to that thread with the information about why that
>> license is non-free.
>
> Many thanks Spot. They are now looking for a standard license that will
> meet their requirements. Could you take a look at the forum once more?

I would not want to register for yet another forum, but we could
suggest that they use MPL and/or CDDL? Dual-license it with LGPL or
GPL if they need compatibility -- though once you go dual-licensing,
ensuring that upstream can consume any modification would require
copyright assignment.

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/