[Fedora-legal-list] eclipse and php require GPLV2+

Julius Davies juliusdavies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 08:40:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

I was looking at the some of the dependencies generated by AutoReqProv
in the RPMS in Fedora 11 and I noticed the following:

eclipse-swt (epl)
requires: libxpcom.so
provided-by: nspluginwrapper (gplv2+)

php-cli (php)
requires: libreadline.so
provided-by: readline (gplv2+)

How is this possible?  I don't think EPL or PHP licenses are allowed
to dynamically link to GPLV2+ libraries.

I see that neither of these dependency problems exist in RHEL 5.4
(eclipse-swt is known as libswt3-gtk2 in RHEL 5.4).

ps.  I'm a B.Sc. student doing a research project on licensing
problems in open source linux distros, so I'm excited to see if my
techniques have actually found some real life licensing problems.

--
yours,

Julius Davies
250-592-2284 (Home)