[Fedora-legal-list] Helping the Fan project relicense from AFL

Michel Alexandre Salim michael.silvanus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 16:52:04 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm currently discussing with the developers for Fan
(http://fandev.org/), a JVM/CLR language, the possibility of them
relicensing or dual-licensing from the Academic Free License.

Current discussion thread here:
http://fandev.org/sidewalk/topic/777

The main concern seems to be that whatever new license they pick has
patent defense clauses, and the developer that responded, Brian, is
under the opinion that the Apache license does not provide this
(IANAL, but my reading is that it does).

We are likely able to convince them to switch to either ASL 2.0 or
(L)GPLv3+, so if someone from the legal team (Spot?) could address
this concern, we have one more application that suddenly can
interoperate with more FLOSS libraries.

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim