[Fedora-legal-list] 4-clause BSD issue

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Oct 14 19:08:48 UTC 2009

ZS> Thank you Tom for the replyI have another developer of Genuis
ZS> 3D. Its a proprietary code so far, but they have plans of open
ZS> sourcing it. However, the developer mentioned that it will be GPL
ZS> with some additions. I guess that would make it GPL incompatible.

Please note that you cannot add restrictions to the GPL, you can only
include additional permissions.  Or, at least, you can try, but those
who receive the work are entitled to simply ignore those restrictions.
>From GPLv2 section 7:

"
  All other non-permissive additional terms are considered "further
restrictions" within the meaning of section 10.  If the Program as you
received it, or any part of it, contains a notice stating that it is
governed by this License along with a term that is a further
restriction, you may remove that term.
"

Adding permissions to the GPL does not render the resulting work GPL
incompatible as far as I know.  (OF course, I'm not a lawyer.)

 - J<