[Fedora-legal-list] Wiki page : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_print_magazine_proposal

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 18:20:07 UTC 2009

On 09/04/2009 11:48 AM, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at the additional agreements part at the base of the
> document and specifically the line about LPM having the editorial
> control.
>
> While I don't have a problem with that, there needs to be something in
> the additional part to protect authors over reprints as there is nothing
> in proposal over LPM using articles in the Fedora mag for their own
> financial gain in either paper or electronically published form.
>
> It is very unusual for contributors to give carte blanche permission for
> publication and republication. The way this proposal is worded provides
> no protection against this from happening.
>
> I've not edited the page as I'd like the fedora-legal people's
> perspective on this.

Hmm, ok. Here's my thoughts:

* Some of the content will be written/created by LPM (possibly all of
the content). Accordingly, I don't think we get much say in how they use
it, aside from the normal trademark usage considerations.

* For anything that Fedora owns, we should be sure it is available under
acceptable licensing terms, but for things like screenshots, I doubt
there is much concern, as that sort of thing is rather ubiquitous.

* I think ultimately, if Fedora contributors end up authoring content
for this magazine, they should do so under licensing terms that they are
comfortable with, but I don't think it is necessary to mandate it.

~spot