[Fedora-legal-list] Wiki page : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_print_magazine_proposal

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 20:19:34 UTC 2009

On 09/04/2009 02:51 PM, Paul wrote:
> Here I'd disagree. While for software, folks are happy for anyone to use
> it as they like. However, for written work, people become protective. It
> is better have something which says "by contributing this piece, you are
> giving Fedora to publish once and republish once by any means". That way
> the author knows exactly what terms they are contributing by.

I'm torn here. I want to believe that protective authors will be
intelligent enough to set licensing terms for their copyrighted works.
Also, I don't want to say "these are the terms under which you give us
these works", because then those protective people just complain and
moan about how they're either too restrictive or too permissive.

My instinct is to say that the contributing authors have to tell us the
license under which we can use their contributions.

Alternately, we could use unlicensed contributions of articles under the
CLA, which allows us an extremely permissive license.

Also, I'm not sure that LPM will be okay with using material under
CC-BY-SA, for example (which is Free). If I had to guess, I'd say they
would want something with the Non Commercial restriction (and a specific
exclusion for them).

But lets keep in mind that as far as I know, it is not clear where the
content for this magazine will come from. Mel, maybe you can shed some
light here?

~spot