doughnuts on a fish hook

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 27 16:48:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> On 27 Aug 2003, Howard Owen wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 05:27, William Hooper wrote:
> >
> >I think Red Hat should drop license fees for their WS product. The
> >window of opportunity is open for Linux on the desktop, due to the
> >maturation of the technology, Microsoft's gouging on licenses, and the
> >lack of compelling new  technology upon which they can piggyback new
>
> Sure and Red Hat can go belly up in 2 years because no-one is paying
> them for all the work they do.

I think people are saying they'd like a third option in between RHLP and
RHEL WS, something where the desktop is long-lived (say, three years
maintenance) but doesn't have bundled support. Right now, the closest there
is to that option is to buy 1 SuSE Professional 8.2 box and deploy it on all
desktops (which is actually only guaranteed 2 years maintenance AFAIK, and
which sucks in lots of other ways ;-).

Maybe shifting the licensing / "Red Hat getting paid" stuff server-side by
selling those customers 100-client proxy servers (or some similar product)
would make them happy and still get RHAT revenue.... Or maybe RHAT just
can't afford right now to make a product suitable for all customers....

later,
chris