rhl website?

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 16:29:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:34:49PM -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:
> So as I understand it, while development of the release is opening up,
> RedHat will still provide strong leadership?  There's a reason I choose
> RH and it has a lot to do with the way RH has it's head on straight.
> The no nonsense approach to the desktop in 8.0 and 9 is impressive.
> Very business-like.  Much easier to navigate.  And there really is
> something to the "less is more" concept.  I'm actually enjoying using
> Gnome and I've been a KDE fan since pre 1.0.

While we do expect the package count to significantly increase under
this new process, yes, we do have every intention of providing strong
leadership.  The goal here is to enable *like-minded* community
members to join the process.  (We have no illusion of being all things
to all people, and Open Source gives differently-minded people the
opportunity to fork if they so desire.)

So among our goals, we want to preserve (and increase) usability in
the GUI, want to continue to make intelligent choices about default
settings for configuration files, want to continue to think about
data integrity when we choose what to enable and recommend in terms
of kernel features, etc.

> I hate to seem like a freeloader (and I've purchased more than a few
> boxed sets for myself) but the consumer releases, downloaded or
> purchased, are just more suitable for my users than any of the
> enterprise offerings and I'm sure I'm not alone.  i.e.what happens here
> is really important.

I'd like to say two things.  The first is that we consider an
"advocate" a community member; that is, the act of advocacy is a
community-building act.  The second is that you'll want to keep
an open mind about future enterprise offerings as their utility to
you may change over time.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/