Numlock on at boot/ X startup

Dennis Calhoun dcalhoun at blomand.net
Fri Aug 15 06:52:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:05:21 -0400, you wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 07:22:59PM -0400, Charles Bronson wrote:
>> Is RedHat planning on adding the option of having the Numlock on at boot and/or
>> when Gnome starts up? I know KDE has an preference setting for this and Mandrake
>> has an RPM to handle it. Maybe it is a topic for kernel developers and the Gnome
>> team but RH has spent so much time on the usability that I was hoping they would
>> come up with a fix if the separate developer groups weren't.

I too would like very much to see an easy way to have Numlock active
at boot. Considering that Numlock IS for "numbers", it just seems a
logical given that it should be.

>We'd almost certainly only do this in the context of an upstream
>project, for several reasons; first, if you add a config option that's
>like adding API, it causes problems if upstream adds the same option
>differently later on; second, it's a UI/string change which means docs
>and translations have to be updated, and all docs/translation work
>happens upstream; third, it is something worth fixing but it's
>probably not a large enough issue to be worth maintaining a custom
>patch.

Speaking of "usability", and forgive me if I am just plain
ignorant.... better yet, please educate me on this one item, if you
will...
When I log in as root I can easily use a "right click menu item" to
make a symbolic link to any given directory, then move that link to
the desktop (in Gnome), but that menu item is not accessible if I log
in as a "regular user". What gives?

--
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Dennis D. Calhoun <http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dcalhoun/>