An official trademark policy for CheapBytes-type RHL CDs?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Aug 17 15:01:03 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:27:50AM +0100, Lance Davis wrote:
> I think that you are wrong there, Redhat have used trademark law to
> prevent the distribution of 100% GPL code, and have restricted the rights
> under the GPL of someone who has purchased a GPL product to redistribute
> it.

The CD contains software under many different non-GPL open source
licenses, so can't be described as "100% GPL." Even if the software
were all GPL, the GPL is explicit that this does not impact logo
images found on the CD:

  In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
  Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
  volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
  work under the scope of this License.

There is a separate license in the redhat-logos and anaconda-images
packages.  See /usr/share/doc/redhat-logos-(version)/COPYING for
example.

I am not a lawyer or official spokesperson and you should consult both
for a reliable interpretation.

Havoc