An official trademark policy for CheapBytes-type RHL CDs?

James J. Ramsey jjramsey_6x9eq42 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 18:39:09 UTC 2003

--- Michael Schwendt <ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:27:03 -0700 (PDT), James J.
> Ramsey wrote:
>
> > The problem is this. Say I'm a Red Hat user
> without
> > broadband or a CD-writer. I try to find a way to
> get
> > the latest Red Hat 10 CDs. Since Red Hat won't be
> > selling Red Hat 10 via retail, my *only*
> alternatives
> > will be to find a friend who can burn CDs or to
> get
> > the  CDs from CheapBytes, CheepLinux, etc. How am
> > expected to know that Pink Tie 10, Blue Jacket 10,
> > etc., are just Red Hat 10 is disguise? Am I
> expected
> > to rely on the grapevine alone?
>
> The product description on such sites usually
> contains a hint,

There is a vast difference between a hint that can be
misunderstood or misinterpreted and being direct.
References to names being changed for "legal reasons"
could be considered a sign that something is fishy
about the CD. As long as Red Hat has its own retail
distribution, that works to Red Hat's advantage, since
confused users looking for a canonical distribution of
Red Hat Linux could just buy a box clearly labeled
"Red Hat" from Red Hat. THAT WILL NO LONGER BE AN
OPTION.

Sorry to shout, but it makes no sense to me for Red
Hat to rely on third parties for CD distribution
(SINCE IT WILL NO LONGER SEL ITS OWN CD-ROMS **gasp
after shot at top of lungs**) while forcing them to
tap dance about what they are distributing.