Upcoming Redhat 10 (or whatever it will be called)

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 18 21:38:05 UTC 2003

On Monday, Aug 18, 2003, at 19:26 Asia/Jerusalem, ctalk at austin.rr.com
wrote:

> Okay, I have read news stories saying Red Hat will be leaving the
> retail
> distro channel. Can someone clarify if this is true? It would not
> bother me
> so much, but will it also mean the end of the boxed set? Will Red Hat
> go
> with a magazine style subsription as they are doing in Europe (I
> believe -
> my German and Italian are not perfect, so I am only guessing that
> RedHat
> Magazine is run by Red Hat)?
>
> Does anyone know the answers? Just want to know what to do when Severn
> becomes the next version.

Chuck,

	RedHat is actually leaving the "boxed distro" business as far as
redhat 10 is concerned. This complies with the shift of the actual
"user" distro's status which is now called "Red Hat Linux Project." You
can read more about that and the shift of development power somewhere
on redhat's site. If someone can provide the link I would be much
obliged, I'm too tired to go digging. RedHat is basically going to
focus on selling their enterprise line of stuff while drawing on the
base distro as a source of packages and advancements. Basically, the
new distro is gonna be like the testing grounds for the new technology
to be included into the enterprise line. ISO's will still be available
for the distro for download from the usual mirrors. As far as redhat
magazine I know nothing about that. Hope I was of some help.

Thanks,
Jack