doughnuts on a fish hook

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Tue Aug 26 20:40:26 UTC 2003

While it's true they have fallen down a bit on this, and it certainly
doesn't look good, I'll defend RedHat a bit, here.

If I understand correctly, RHAS 2.1 is made of of completely open source
software, with the exception of the Sun (and IBM?) Java runtime.  RHAS
3.0, as I understand it, is not shipping with a Java VM and I have not
heard of any new proprietary stuff being included.  i.e. I think the
RHEL 3.0 line will be 100% Open Source.

This tells me two things:

1. RedHat is one hell of a great Open Source company and truly believes
in Open Source.

2. RHLP is vitally important to the future of the RHEL line.

I understand, and even share, the concerns that people have expressed.
And RedHat does need to act soon.  But I still have (almost) complete
confidence that things will come together.

They probably should have waited until just after the release of RH10 to
make the announcement.  Announcing the RHLP right at the same time as
they are coming out with a beta1 was, to say the least, an awkward move.

It may well be that someone at RedHat was *too* excited about the RHLP.