doughnuts on a fish hook

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 27 17:22:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>
>> On 27 Aug 2003, Howard Owen wrote:
>>
>> >On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 05:27, William Hooper wrote:
>> >
>> >I think Red Hat should drop license fees for their WS product. The
>> >window of opportunity is open for Linux on the desktop, due to the
>> >maturation of the technology, Microsoft's gouging on licenses, and the
>> >lack of compelling new  technology upon which they can piggyback new
>>
>> Sure and Red Hat can go belly up in 2 years because no-one is paying
>> them for all the work they do.
>
>I think people are saying they'd like a third option in between RHLP and
>RHEL WS, something where the desktop is long-lived (say, three years
>maintenance) but doesn't have bundled support. Right now, the closest there

I think that is the $179 version of the WS. It is 179/year... and could
probably go down in large orders. So a complete cost would be $537 for 3
years support. Having done a lots of internal maintenance for older
servers here... the cost per server seemed pretty good.

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545