Upgrading from FC1 to FC2

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Fri Dec 5 22:49:30 UTC 2003

On or about 2003-12-05 16:17, Brian Fahrlander whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 15:01, M A Young wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, mike webster wrote:
>>

>>>I was wondering about the upgrade procedures from FC1 to FC2 (when it
>>>becomes available.)
>>>
>>>Is this going to be a simple up2date and reboot, or will the boxes
>>>running FC1 need to be reinstalled?
>>>

>>I suspect that hasn't been decided yet, though the previous policy has
>>been that the supported method was to upgrade via the standard anaconda
>>installer. However the up2date and reboot method has often worked.
>>

>   Just so ya know, I've updated a RH 7.3 -> 9 using apt; it was
>amazingly simple, secure and the process was even fun.  "apt-get
>dist-upgrade" was all there was.  All online, I didn't even _have_ to
>reboot.
>
>   Surely up2date can do this, too, right- it's still just a mechanism
>of transport...RPMs are RPMs, aye?

Can you *really* swap to a new kernel without re-booting?  Sounds like a
really tough trick to me, but I suppose it could be managed somehow, but
it would be quicker to re-boot.....

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt. (George Sewell)