NVIDIA and arjanv's 2.6 test11 kernel.

Pavel Rosenboim pavelr at coresma.com
Sun Dec 7 10:47:16 UTC 2003

John McBride wrote:

>> ...I assume this relates to the note at minion.de :
>>
>> "Update: arjanv kernels no longer use -mregparm=3, binary
>> compatibility with the closed-source NVIDIA kernel module component
>> has been restored. The 4GB/4GB split VM layout patch has been
>> integrated and enabled in all three configurations, however, which
>> breaks the NVIDIA driver, as well. You will need to rebuild without
>> CONFIG_X86_4G_VM_LAYOUT."
>>
>> So I guess this means I have to build my own 2.6 kernel from source
>> without this option set.
>

> I got through this okay, I'm such a noob (I did this stuff a little a
> few years ago so it was not all new to me) it was something like:
>
> 1) "rpm -i" the src package;
> 2) Go into /usr/src/redhat;
> 3) do a "rpmbuild -bp" on the SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec;
> 4) edit SOURCES/kernel-2.6.0-test11-i686.config so :
>
> # CONFIG_X86_4G is not set
>
> 5) tried "rpmbuild -bc --short-circuit" on the spec file, which didn't
> work as hoped;
> 6) went into BUILD/kernel-2.6.0/linux-2.6.0-test11, backed up and
> double-checked the .config, then did the full "make mrproper, ..." all
> the way through to "make install" as documented in the various kernel
> build howto's.
> 7) make install failed with an error about the loop device, so I
> insmod'd the loop.ko file (with the full path in /lib/modules) for the
> running kernel then it completed okay.
>
> Then the 2.6 patched nvdia driver rebuild, edit XF86Config per the docs,
> and all was well.
>
> Not too bad, tux racer is really flying down the slopes now!

Hmm.. I did it a little differently:
1) rpm -i src package.
2) go to /usr/src/redhat
3) in kernel-2.6.spec comment out the patch line ( if I recall
correctly, its a Patch540, so I commented out '%patch540' line)
4)rpmbuild -ba kernel-2.6.spec --target=i386,i686 - to build both
-source and -doc packages and to build kernel for i686 instead of
default i386.

5) Also, you can change 'define build-smp 1' to 0 if you don't need SMP
kernel.

Pavel.