Using Lexmark X6170 with FC1

Graeme Willox graemewillox at tpg.com.au
Sun Dec 7 11:13:23 UTC 2003

On 07/12/2003 11:55 James Drabb wrote

>On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 19:06, Graeme Willox wrote:
>

>>On 07/12/2003 01:47 James Drabb wrote
>>
>>I'm quite happy with the Lexmark printer.  If it won't work with Linux
>>then unfortunately perhaps, Linux will be what has to go.
>>

>Wow!  Your going to give up on Linux because of one poorly made,
>proprietary printer?  Oh well.  Is Linux running on a separate PC?  You
>could try to print to it using samba.  Though I don't know if that will
>work because Lexmark uses their own proprietary protocol to talk to the
>printer.
>
>Jim Drabb

I'd like to give Linux a fair go, but given that I can't return the
printer, what you're suggesting is that I effectively throw away a $500
printer.  In answer to your question, Linux isn't running on a separate
PC.  At the moment, I'm using grub to choose between Linux and Windows
XP Pro.

I'll have a look at samba.  I guess my biggest problem with Linux at the
moment is that I still know absolutely nothing about it.  I didn't even
download it myself.  I can't get broadband internet access in my area.
I got a copy of Fedora from someone else who uses it.

I considered it a major achievement when I managed to have my fat32
partitions mount automatically each time the machine is booted.  :-)