Netiquette

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 9 02:44:50 UTC 2003

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:53:54AM +0100, A.J. Bonnema wrote:
>
>>good idea to end lines at 65 characters. When most if not all but the
>>most outdated MUA's are able to use wrapping, the guideline seems
>>useless and could be changed.
>

> Client-side wrapping breaks code snippets, log files, URIs and attached
> text files.
> I'm not sure this is a good idea.
>
> Emmanuel

coding:
Only if your code extends beyond 65 or 72 characters, whichever you use.
  I don't know about all languages, but usually more characters won't be
very clear coding anyway.

logfiles, URI.
I agree, with URI's this is especially annoying.

However, in general I think I understand why the rule was inserted into
the netiquette. You don't adjust the majority of messages to a minority
of special messages (containing code, log messages etc).
Usually code will be attached in an attachment anyway, except for code
snippets. Large logfiles ditto.

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,