Flashplayer

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Dec 11 03:33:38 UTC 2003

Mark Guzzo wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 18:35, nelson wrote:
>
>>Im not sure this is the right place or not, but just installed Fedora
>>and love it except that I can't seem to get flashplayer installed.
>>I'm doing everything the same as I did with Redhat 9 and it says that
>>it's installed, but when I go to the browser, nothings there.  If I
>>got the wrong list with this I apologize.
>

> 1. Download Flash Player 6.0
> 2. Decompress it, then copy libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt to
> your Mozilla plugins directory.
>
> Important! Scripting Flash does NOT work with gcc3 builds of Mozilla.
> Important!If Flash Player does not work, make sure you have a compatible
> version of libstdc++ present (libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3). On RedHat based
> systems, install the package "compat-libstdc++" (Package "compat" on
> SuSE).
>
> The above taken word-for-word from...
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Flash
>
> Mark :-)

Interesting, this doesn't appear to be true at all.  The plugin does not
WORK AT ALL without compat-libstdc++.  Scripting flash I assume means
the XPCOM integration necessary for javascript integration.  It works
fine with even the latest Mozilla if you properly redo xpti.dat.  The
flash-plugin RPM does this automatically.

And btw, there is NO REASON why anybody should be installing
flash-plugin manually on Red Hat or Fedora.  Use the RPM:
http://macromedia.mplug.org

Anyone know how to contact this page's author so we can correct this
misinformation?

Warren