redhat-config-xfree86 enhancement?

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Wed Dec 17 05:49:25 UTC 2003

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 20:35, John McBride wrote:
>
>>You, a person who makes a redundant comment, then resorts to
>>name-calling while closing things out, yeah that makes a lot of sense!
>>

> ---
> - I fail to see anywhere where I called you names. I did however,
> suggest that you were whining.

Yes, you did.

> - How to ask questions the smart way...
>   <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
>
> There is somewhat an implied contract when asking questions to a user
> supported forum of open source software. There is a lot of wisdom to be
> gleaned from reading the page linked.

You should carefully review the posts. I never asked a question; I
merely suggested an enhancement.

> Sometimes people just expect everything to be done the windows way and
> then, they want it to be free, supported for free, and then think that
> because they like it way windows does it, that someone should change
> things. Good thought - doesn't fly here. You participate by using the
> software, helping to support others, contributing code, helping write
> documentation, etc.

I can't code worth a damn. I've done all the other things, though. Sorry
I can't fully meet your demands for posting on the Fedora list. I never
clicked through any such list of requirements when I joined the list, so
personally I consider your enumeration of posting requirements without
merit.

If you can back up this claim of posting requirements with a link to
official RedHat policy (in particular the code contribution requirement)
I will apologize for all my posts and remove myself from the list
immediately.

If you can't back it up with offical RedHat policy, I think you should
start doing some thinking about the things you write, and the rights you
claim.

> If you think your commentary about how xfree86 should exit with errors,
> you should probably take it over to the development list at xfree86.

This is interesting--a quick review of my posts shows no such
commentary. My thought about an enhancement was directed squarely at a
Fedora configurator.

> Moreover, I suggested that you look into kickstart which seems to be far
> more suitable for the 'automated' install and can invoke the x
> configuration setup at the right time. Good thing your mind wasn't
> closed to that suggestion.

Once again, please review the posts. This thread has already gotten to
the point of being completely useless, but just to defend myself, I will
repeat that the technician does the final configuration of each
workstation at his desk, and then deploys the machine to the user's work
area. He has to sign off on a number of QC steps, as in "a signature",
he's not going to kickstart that, because he can't--he must walk the
steps. The displays differ at the two points--this is not a big problem
in Windows, but is a minor annoyance in Fedora, since the GUI is lost
and our staff (all Windows people) have no idea what to do. You can call
them, or me, "lusers", "noobs", "whiners", etc--whatever makes you feel
like a big, burly CLI kind of guy--but that will not change the facts.

> Lastly - despite the appearance of a text based console - which
> apparently you want to avoid like the plague - it is no more difficult
> nor time consuming to actually run 'redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig'
> than it is to click your way through a 'new hardware found' setup on
> Windows. Unfortunately, plug and play doesn't work as well on Linux as
> it does on Windows these days - which still doesn't work perfectly
> either but hey - it's getting better.

Personally I don't really care either way. The customers, however, do. I
like, use and enjoy supporting Linux, except for nights like tonight.
People like you make it marginally less enjoyable, but only marginally so.

> I'm not looking to pick a fight with you - nor insult you. The whining
> comment was fair considering what I perceive to be your arrogance to
> think that you somehow had earned the right to get on this list and
> announce how you think things should be when I have never seen you help
> anyone, write any support documents, or participate in any meaningful
> way.

You already insulted me, so don't try to take it back now. Please, I
urge you to forward your suggestions for the management of the Fedora
list to RedHat--particularly your plan to determine who has the right to
join and post to this list. I'm sure they will enjoy reading about your
plans almost as much as I have.