Iptables

Alex White prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 21 02:52:35 UTC 2003

Okay here is my iptables rule set (attached). I am thinking
this is not really the problem though. I am also attaching
my ifconfig output. The firewall configuration functions
just fine for browsing on the second machine and checking
e-mail. Downloads however (extended downloads over 1 meg or
so) still do not function.

You will notice that eth1 no longer has an inet address.
This was done on purpose. I did so because reading a few
docs said that pppoe needs the ethernet card to have no ip.
It always worked with an ip before but I removed it just to
see what would happen. The result was just as expected, it
made no difference.

I made all ethernet cards (other than eth1) have an mtu of
1492. This was done purposely as well, since ppp0 is auto
set to 1492. The mssclamp is 1412, changing this to anything
else makes ppp0 not come up on network start. Should I
change the mtu of the cards to 1412 universally to match the
mss? I think this is not necessary I could be wrong. Please
point out any mistakes.

Thank You!

Alex