yum hangs with "damaged header"?

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Dec 24 00:49:40 UTC 2003

Clint wrote:
> When I try to run yum update, I get an error that tells me I have a
> damaged header in the kernel-source header. Since I'm wanting to skip
> updates related to the kernel anyways, is there a to either fix the yum
> update kernel-source header, or get yum to skip on the kernel related
> updates?
>
> I'd use up2date, but there always seems to be some additional packages
> to update that yum finds which up2date doesn't.
>
> Here is the relevant output from yum. What you see on the last line is
> symptomatic of the hang. It doesn't always hang at the same "%", but it
> always hangs on that file:
>
> # yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Stable)
> Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Testing)
> Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Unstable)
> Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
> Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
> Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Damaged Header
> /var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.i386.hdr
>
> getting
> /var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.i386.hdr
>
> kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.  12% |===                      |  48 kB 00:20 ETA

I *think* I was able to answer my own questions, but want to pitch these
to see if my thinking is incorrect.

- Why was yum hanging?
I think it was just "slow" to respond. I started it and left the
computer alone, and maybe 30 minutes later it had completed the update,
showing me what was available to update, including the kernel updates
(which I didn't want to do -- don't want the hassle of the NVidia card
and sound card conflicts headaches again)

- How can yum ignore kernel updates?
I was searching for the wrong term. "exclude" is what I needed, not
"ignore". So in /etc/yum.conf, in the first section of code, I put the line:
exclude=kernel*
and that seems to perform as I want: tell yum don't bother with kernel
updates.

--
Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org>