Fedora update from RHL9, jsut how much is NOT updated?

Robert Vangel robzilla at westnet.com.au
Thu Dec 25 03:34:59 UTC 2003

Dennis Calhoun wrote:
>>From what I'm seeing, there seems to be one great big bunch of stuff
> that an upgrade from RHL9 to Fedora fails to include. While I am
> trying to figure out SOMEthing to get some reasonable means of making,
> breaking a dialup connection AND being able to do so easily, on
> instant command click, as well as trying to get SOME way to be able to
> SEE what the modem connection is doing at any given time (like modem
> lights on the taskbar, that won't work for anything).....
>
> Anyway, I am seeing image files in certain folders that lead me to
> believe that much of what Fedora contains, as a new install, is NOT
> installed or upgraded in a situation like mine, an upgrade. Is this
> true? is the only way to get a *thorough* install of Fedora via a
> completely NEW install? An upgrade seems sorely short of complete.
>
> Dennis
>

> --

I have never done an upgrade on any OS myself, I really do much prefer
clean installs, as it means that there will not be any stale data that
was there previously.

I have heard of many people complaining that things get broke when they
upgrade, because of incompatibilities between new and original software,
plus settings don't keep properly.

If you really do want to have everything nice, I would definately saving
all your data and going for a clean install.

--
Robert Vangel
Administrator,