Creating a local apt repository?

Greg Trounson gregtr at es.co.nz
Sun Dec 28 06:47:10 UTC 2003

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Greg Trounson wrote:
>
>>Gidday,
>>
>>Not strictly Fedora-centric, but if I can get it working under RH9, I
>>plan to deploy it to my Fedora machines.
>>
>>Since I'm on a dial-up connection, I have copied the complete set of RH9
>>rpms into one directory on my machine in an attempt at creating a local
>>mirror for apt.
>>
>>I have run
>>"genbasedir --flat --bloat --bz2only --partial --progress
>>/mainarchive/redhat9 localrpms"
>>on this directory, and the appropriate pkglist.localrpms.bz2 etc have
>>been created in /mainarchive/redhat9/base.
>>I have added
>>"rpm file:/apt/ /mainarchive/redhat9 localrpms"
>
>             ^^^^^
>
> If the directory is /mainarchive/redhat9 then that's what you have to use
> as the path, eg "rpm file:/mainarchive redhat9 localrpms" is what you
> should use for that - you can't invent parts of the path and have apt find
> whatever you intended :)

Thanks, using that syntax got it working!

Apt still has gnumeric, evolution and about 50 other essential programs
marked as 'broken' and wants to remove them before doing anything.

I was hoping that pointing apt to a local archive, showing that those
programs *are* in fact okay to have installed, would have fixed it.

Greg