looking for online howtos/tutorials for newbie developers

BFD bfd at pcisys.net
Wed Dec 31 14:50:15 UTC 2003

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  i'm interested in collecting some online tutorials that cover introductory
>development using gcc.  things like basic gcc, simple options, how libraries
>work (dynamic versus static linking).  in a more general sense, also,
>overviews of the entire GNU set of development tools.

I don't know if you will find what you want online.

You might look at a couple of books:

    Beginning Linux Programming (3e) by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew
(1999: Wrox Press) ISBN 1-861002-97-1

More info at http://www.wrox.com/books/0764544977.shtml, and it is
available from Amazon.com at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/479559/ref%3Db%5Fsnpbg%5Fwrox/103-7400452-7270240

and

    Professional Linux Programming by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew
(2000: Wrox Press) ISBN 1-861003-01-3

I don't think it is in print any more, but Amazon lists it available as
used at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1861003013/002-6015042-3848814

On both of these, you can use the "Look Inside" feature to browse the
TOC to see if they will fit your needs.

BOF