RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 02:10:27 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 14:33, Dennis Kaptain wrote:
> I'm a long time RHL user and I just installed fedora.
> I have a cable modem connected to eth0 which uses dhcp.
> eth1 (static 192.168.1.1) goes to a hub and then 2 other
> computers 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3
>
> I can connect anywhere on the net using eth0 (including this list thank God!).
> I can ping eth1 OK.
> ping the other 2 PC's says "icmp_seq=0 Destination Host Unreachable"
> the other PC's pinging me have same result.
>
> service network start  :reports no errors.
> ifup eth1 reports: "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"
> I have narrowed that down to
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes
> line 33
> handle_file $file $1
> put an echo in and $file is "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth1"
> and $1 is "eth1"
> the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth1
> [root at zozo network-scripts]# cat route-eth1
> GATEWAY0=192.168.1.1
> NETMASK0=255.255.255.0
> ADDRESS0=192.168.1.3
>
> I don't know what the ADDRESS0 item but it doesn't look right,
> I changed it to 192.168.1.1 and that didn't help.
>
> What do these values in route-eth1 need to be?
> What else can I look for?
> I already verified that it is not a firewall issue.
>
> BTW: all this worked before the re-install.

A couple of items you can check:
As root, do an ifconfig eth1 to verify 1) that your eth1 nic is up and
2) has the correct seetings.

Verify the settings in the other two computers.  (ifconfig if linux and
either winipcfg or ipconfig for Win98/ME and WinXP respectively.)
I would also recommend using redhat-config-network for configuring your
network devices.

Clifford