Solution to pine/pico install, libcom_err.so.3 dependency

Matt Temple mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 1 03:28:58 UTC 2003

Nejaa Halcyon wrote:

> I had one heck of a time getting pine/pico installed on Core 1. Finally
> getting it to work, I assumed there is at least one other person who is
> having this problem. Here's how I got to install...
>
> Installing the pine rpm from RH's archive (via apt-get, yum, or
> whatever) failed, needing libcom_err.so.3. A quick check revealed that
> this is part of Kerberos, and not included in Core 1 for some reason.
>
> A little bit of research told me that the easiest way around that was to
> recompile the pine source on Fedora, taking the libcom absence into
> account. A post from Mike Harris pointed me to his repository
> (ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/pine) that includes
> his recompiled rpm of pine that works like a charm on Fedora.
>
> So, just download Mike's rpm
> (ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable/pine/4.58-2/i386/pine-4.58-2.i386.rpm) and install that baby:
>
>   (as root, of course)
>   cd /path/that/contains/pine
>   rpm -ivh pine-4.58-2/i386.rpm
>
> and that should do it.
>
> Please let me know if this was helpful at all,
> -Nejaa
Just to note -- it came up before, that frequently
this problem can be solved by:

ln -sf libcom_err.so.3 libcom_err.so.2

There are reports to this list suggesting that the above
works and others suggesting it doesn't under what sound like the
same circumstances.   On one of our installations, we
got postgresql working with this trick.    On another machine, it
was sufficient to get Pine working.

					Matt Temple
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/632-4012
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
44 Binney Street,  JF 314     http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!