Finding Where Data is Coming From?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Dec 1 15:53:29 UTC 2003

Nick Wilson <nick at stylesheet.org> writes:

>> To OP:  Try iptraf.  One of its screens will show the actual url.
>> But its still something of a guessing game if you have other active
>> connections.
>
> Ok, that's a little more helpful but I only get an IP adress not a url?

Just happened to think.... you can get a detailed http type address
with tcpdump.  Just don't use the -n switch.

In your case, assuming you know which interface (like eth0 eht1 etc)
this would occur on you could run:

tcpdump -v -i <device> |grep http

Will give you literally piles of info about the http connections.
You could refine the grep after seeing some of it.

tcpdump is an advanced networking tool used to examine info passing
across a network.  Its widely available online.  But you can get it
like   `up2date tcpdump'