How to change language

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Dec 1 15:56:49 UTC 2003

On Monday, Dec 1st 2003 at 16:21 +0100, quoth Henrik Magnusson:

=>Hi!
=>
=>I've upgraded from RH9 (a working installation) to FC1 (a non working
=>installation). All my troubles seem to end up with that FC1 assumes
=>UTF-8. Since the support for swedish characters seem to be rather bad,
=>and the following applications have had serious issues with this.
=>
=>Samba
=>Pine
=>Vi
=>
=>the list could go on. Now I would like to know what files I should
=>change to make it possible for the applications to allow the swedish
=>characters ISO-8859-1, but still present all errormessages in english.
=>
=>/Henrik

System-wide changes go into /etc/sysconfig/i18n
local changes (per account) go into ~/.i18n

See man locale for more info.

steveo at syslang.net