Solution to pine/pico install, libcom_err.so.3 dependency

Matt Temple mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 1 19:41:50 UTC 2003

Nejaa Halcyon wrote:
> So would my origional solution (recompiling every piece of software that
> needs libcom_err.so.3) be the only "stable" solution?
>
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:44:20 -0800, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Matt Temple wrote:
>>

>>> Just to note -- it came up before, that frequently
>>> this problem can be solved by:
>>>
>>> ln -sf libcom_err.so.3 libcom_err.so.2
>>

>> This "solution" will only work as long as you never use the functions
>> of that library.  If that library is ever accessed, your application
>> will almost certainly crash.  Don't do this.  Ever.  At the very
>> least, never rely on it to work.  Library versions change when
>> interfaces change in incompatible ways.

There was an issue here about whether or not anything should be using
that library.   The issue, as I understood it, was that there were
some fundamental issues with libcom_err.so.3 altogether.

Further, I believe that this is only an issue if there are functions in
the "real" libcom_err.so.3 that aren't in libcom_err.so.2 that are
called by Pine and Pico.

I think that the question of the whether this library should be around
needs to be resolved.   And of course, building the software yourself
is a more robust solution.

That being said, I've been using Pine/Pico ever since I got the Fedora
release employing the link as described above with not-a-crash or
other problem.

A recompiled version is clearly a better choice.

					mht

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!