ide-scsi ?

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 00:48:17 UTC 2003

David Limon Romero wrote:

> El Mar 25 Nov 2003 6:46 PM, Jim Cornette escribió:
>

>>During the beta testing phase for Shrike (Phoebe). I was able to burn
>>CDs only without ide-scsi in the kernel. I used xcdroast and gtoaster
>>without the extra layer.
>>
>>What does your /dev/cdrom link point to? My symlink pointed to /dev/scd0
>>for my reader and /dev/scd1 for my burner. /dev/cdwriter was linked to
>>/dev/sg.
>>
>>The ide-scsi is in my kernel now and is working correctly.
>>
>>Maybe your links to the actual device types is messed up.
>

> well, you gave me an idea, I removed the ' append="hdd=ide-scsi" ' from my
> lilo.conf and loaded the ide-scsi manually and worked fine, so, I added to my
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local :
> insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.o
> rm /dev/cdrom
> rm /dev/cdrom1
> ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
> ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom1

This helps me to understand all of the events that are going on with
the ide-scsi module altogether. This might have only worked with my
particular system.

If you create links and take out kudzu from the fstab entry, it
shouldn't change the fstab entries. It might add additional entries into
your fstab file though. It did for me. (/dev/cdrom3 and dev/cdrom4)

Are you adding any 2.6 kernel related programs to your system? This is
when I started getting the strange symlink problems.

> I remove the /dev/cdrom* links because when the machine boots, it creates
> symlinks to /dev/hdc (cdrom) and /dev/hdd (cdrom1)
> now it's working... :-) (burning knoppix for a friend who wants to test linux)

This sounds like what my problem was. I was messing with upgrading a few
needed programs for 2.6 kernel. Before that, my cdrom burning was
trashed. (Bad burns with interupted garbage burned in between the
desired burned information. Magicdev or automount trash was transferred
to the CD's that I tried to burn.)

This might be a lead for figuring out the ide-scsi breakage in regards
to the 2.6 kernel.

BTW - My CD burner was an Acer model drive.

> there is another way to do this cleaner? (maybe something in
> /etc/modules.conf)?

If we are going to be using devices without emulation. It might be worth
trying to figure out  how to use the more direct methods.

Jim

--
Your reasoning powers are good, and you are a fairly good planner.