installing packages omitted from initial install

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Tue Dec 2 04:11:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 13:03, Don wrote:
> I installed FC1 as a text install, via ftp. I thought I selected
> "install everything", but now I go to install a program and it says no
> compiler is available etc.
[snip]
> I know the ftp site (it's one of my servers) so that's not a problem...
> but what I'd really like is if I can just install everything that's
> missing....

The easiest way would be to use redhat-config-packages with the --tree
option, and then select everything.

Alternatively, you could do it by hand, which requires some playing
around to get it right:

If you can somehow mount the install directory containing the rpms
(which should be easy if its one of yours, eg by nfs) then you can just

cd <wherever>
rpm -Uvh *rpm

and _every_ rpm in that directory will be installed if not so already.
This can also be used to update rpms.  Be careful with rpms that are
compiled for multiple archs, and kernel rpms.  Do these first.  You
should probably do somethimg more like

rpm -Uvh [^k]*i686.rpm
then all the k*rpm that aren't kernel ones, then
rpm -Uvh [^k]*i386.rpm

(Conversely, to only update rpms that have previously been installed,
use `rpm -Fvh *rpm`)

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which the only
specification is that it should run noiselessly.