installing packages omitted from initial install

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Tue Dec 2 04:38:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 20:11, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> The easiest way would be to use redhat-config-packages with the --tree
> option, and then select everything.

I tried that and get this error:
[root at rocky root]# redhat-config-packages --tree
Unable to import gtk module.  This may be due to running without
$DISPLAY set.  Exception was:
could not open display
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/MainWindow.py", line 11, in ?
    sys.exit(0)
NameError: name 'sys' is not defined

I never did get X installed on that system... I use ssh to come in from
another (bigger/faster/more capable) machine.

> Alternatively, you could do it by hand, which requires some playing
> around to get it right:
>
> If you can somehow mount the install directory containing the rpms
> (which should be easy if its one of yours, eg by nfs) then you can just

That sounds cool, but I don't know how to do that. The ftp server is on
a Win2000 machine..... I'm working toward an all-linux set up, but
that's anothr story.

> cd <wherever>
> rpm -Uvh *rpm

That sounds the simplest.... all I need now is to learn how to mount a
windows folder over the network.... Ill see what I can find ...

Thanks,
Don