Solution to pine/pico install, libcom_err.so.3 dependency

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Dec 2 04:58:18 UTC 2003

Nejaa Halcyon wrote:
> So would my origional solution (recompiling every piece of software that
> needs libcom_err.so.3) be the only "stable" solution?

Yes, that's correct.  You either must recompile each application so that
it no longer requires the missing library.  You actually have the option
of installing the old kerberos libraries in an application specific
location (perhaps /opt/kerberos-rhl9/) and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make
sure that they're used:

env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/kerberos-rhl9/lib ./pine

However, this solution can be much more complicated to get right.  In
this instance, if I have this right (and I may not, I'm only discussing
this for completeness, and not to encourage you to actually do this),
you'd need all of the old krb5 libs in that directory, not just
libcom_err.so.3.

While pine would load fine with just libcom_err.so.3 in the special
library path, kbr5's libs (from Fedora, this time) would also load in
libcom_err.so.2.  Symbol resolution would be unreliable; sometimes pine
would work fine because the symbols in Fedora's krb5 libs would be
resolved correctly to those from libcom_err.so.2, and sometimes pine
would crash when using Kerberos because the symbols would be resolved to
those from libcom_err.so.3.