Flash plugin delays page load

Bart Szyszka bart at gigabee.com
Tue Dec 2 05:19:34 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have Fedora Core 1 and installed the RPM for the Flash plugin that's
available at:
http://macromedia.rediris.es/site_ri.html

My problem is that whenever I try to open a site that has a Flash
animation, before the browser (Epiphany and Mozilla) loads the page,
there's a few seconds' delay. Sometimes it's 3 seconds, sometimes it's
over 10, which is making it really difficult to browse websites
considering the number of them that now use Flash-based ads.

Just to make it clear, if I have a page already loaded in the browser
(one with or without Flash) and I type say salon.com , the browser will
still display that existing page during the entire delay until it
switches over. And during the delay, the scrollbars won't work, the
throbber doesn't spin, the toolbar buttons don't popup on rollover, and
basically the program is totally frozen during that time period.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I'm on a laptop
with an nVidia GeForce2Go graphics card, using the latest driver for it,
but I wouldn't think that'd be the problem? I've used previous versions
of Red Hat and this is the first time I've experienced something like
this, though normally I've used the plugin directly from a tar.gz from
Macromedia.com instead of needing to install it with an RPM so I don't
know.

- Bart