weird characters in man pages and html

Paolo Nesti Poggi pnp at italyflash.com
Tue Dec 2 12:07:25 UTC 2003

Hi,

I notice some strange things with characters in terminals and browser, you
might have an explanation for this, i'll stick to terminal for now.

I'm accessing my fedora trough ssh using secureCRT on Windows 98 (however
what I'll describe happens also using putty).

When reading man pages backticks and ticks are rendered in the wrong way.
For instance the text below is copied and pasted from man rsync, (I hope it
doesn't get changed in the email):
 my  wife´s  home
as you see "my wife's home" gets changed into something strange, the same
happens to:
"In order to distinguish between the remote-shell
user  and  the  rsync server user, you can use
´-l user´ on your remote-shell command"

notice : ´-l user´

This doesn't happen accessing man pages directly from the terminal on the
machine.

The same kind of "weird" thing happens if you try and create a new file with
a filename with danish characters (I happen to live in DK)

If you do it from a terminal on fedora (local access or remote doesn't
matter)

you can do:

#vi dænsk_prøvefil_from_fedora
and list
dænsk_prøvefil_from_fedora

however when you access it from windows you list the file:
dænsk_prøvefil_from_fedora

the same happens to the content of the file.

The opposite is also true. That is that from Windows I write what on my
keybord is:
#vi dænsk_prøvefil_from_windows

but I actually see: dænsk_prøvefil_from_windows
and accessing from Fedora I see
dænsk_prøvefil_from_windows

This was not the case with RH 7.3, someone has an explanation for this?

Regards
Paolo