Questions from a Newbie

Smith, Herb herb.smith2 at boeing.com
Tue Dec 2 18:07:06 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Ok, I'm a newbie and have some basic (I hope) questions.....here goes:

1) I assume from the fray that RH 9 will be the last version available
in that form from Red Hat itself....correct?

2) I currently have a RH 8 / Windows NT dual boot system.  I LOVE RH
8....it was a snap to install and I have had no issues with its
performance on my Dell PC.  I was about to buy RH 9 due to the supposed
improvements is working with Java applications and wondered if Fedora
was a better course of action?

3) I have several 3rd party software packages...some free (nedit), some
not free (QCAD..2D CAD program).  Are there any thoughts as to whether
these should still run under Fedora, or would I have to wait for
specific Fedora-compiled binaries of these applications?

4) I downloaded the 3 iso images and got them onto CD's (after some
pain...I had to put them on CD-RW disks using Roxio...they wouldn't go
onto just CD-R disks).  So if I boot from the CD will the installation
do an "update" over RH 8?  I noticed that there was a Gnome
issue....anything else?  Are there any issues booting from a RW-type CD?

5) Am I getting onto thin ice here??  Given that my RH 8 system went on
with such ease, can I expect Fedora to do the same?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Herb Smith