Questions from a Newbie

Steven Stern sds-email-list at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 2 18:22:44 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:07:06 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Ok, I'm a newbie and have some basic (I hope) questions.....here goes:

I'll answer the ones I think I can answer.

>1) I assume from the fray that RH 9 will be the last version available
>in that form from Red Hat itself....correct?

There will be subsequent versions of Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).  The free
stuff, however, is gone.

>2) I currently have a RH 8 / Windows NT dual boot system.  I LOVE RH
>8....it was a snap to install and I have had no issues with its
>performance on my Dell PC.  I was about to buy RH 9 due to the supposed
>improvements is working with Java applications and wondered if Fedora
>was a better course of action?

If this is a personal system (i.e., not a commerical production system), then
I'd recommend trying Fedora.  The upgrade from RH9 to FC1 was painless.  The
only thing is that it will take you from Samba v2 to Samba v3.  You should
read the upgrade notes on the Samba.org site because you may have to make
changes to your smb.conf if you're using Samba.  (Get the upgrade out of the
way before going to FC1, IMHO.)

 -- Steve