Latest kernel won't update with latest version of up2date

nosp nosp at xades.com
Tue Dec 2 19:05:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 18:54, Robert Moggach wrote:
[snip]
> As a note though. My NVIDIA drivers have stopped working.
>
> I originally did a custom compile using the .run file from nvidia.com.
> These drivers don't work with the new kernel apparently...

The NVIDIA 3D binary-only drivers you installed for your old kernel are
only for that kernel.  Every time you upgrade the kernel you have to
re-install them.  Always happens.

> The X config prog. finds the video card and identifies it using the
> included 'nv' driver

That's the driver that comes with XFree86 -- without 3D hardware
acceleration.

> Are there any advantages to using the nvidia.com .run file or is the
> built in nvidia driver up to date and optimized for somewhat recent
> cards?

Yes.  The driver from nvidia allows you to run 3D OpenGL apps much much
faster.  However, it is closed source.  You won't get any support from
Redhat for problems with it.  Lots of issues have been discussed on this
list, however, so you should check the archives if you have time / are
interested.