Building your own rpm/apt/yum repository

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Tue Dec 2 19:35:21 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 21:15, nosp wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 16:45, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> [...]
> > And for apt: https://moin.conectiva.com.br/AptRpm/Repositories
> >
> > Or, for that matter, you can just drop rpm's into a local directory and
> > point apt to that using "rpm-dir" and you don't even need to
> > specifically create a repository. On the downside having a big rpm-dir
> > will slow down operations somewhat.
>
> Very helpful for maintaining a simple apt repo for a LAN.  I wish I knew
> about it earlier -- it's not in any of the man pages, unfort!

Hmm, I doubt you want to use rpm-dir for a LAN, even for a small
repository. It only supports local file paths, meaning you'd have to
NFS-mount the directory and that's going to cost even more...

But of course, feel free to try it out - if the freedom of not having to
run genbasedir on the repository is bigger than the cost of speed loss
then why not.

P.S. The man pages sure could use some apt-rpm'ifying.. lots of cool
stuff missing from there.

	- Panu -