acpi problems

satya linux satyalinux at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 22:06:15 UTC 2003

I'm a Linux newbie, and I'm having problems with ACPI
my Dell latitude d600 laptop

I burned FC1 CD's from the ISOs online
Everything installed, upgraded, and worked fine
(including the 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl kernel)

acpi is by default disabled.  Works fine then.
However, when acpi=on, I have problems.

#####
Startup seems to go fine in the graphical mode.
But immediately after logging in, the screen freezes.
I can't do anything but force the computer off, by
holding down the power button.

Upon turning the computer on again, startup happens in
text mode (or reverts back to text mode immediately
after entering graphical mode) b/c of improper
shutdown.

I get two noticeable errors:

1)
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2129.nptl/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.o:
init_module: No such device
insmod: hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect
modular parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output
from dmesg

and

2)
insmod:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o:
init_module: No such device
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect
module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output
from dmesg
insmod:
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o:
insmod block-major-2 failed

this time, (aside from these errors) everything seems
to be working fine.  (the battery monitor works!!!)

I can log in, run applications, etc.

The computer shuts down fine, too.

But upon startup, I get the screen freezing again
(back to ##### above)

I ended up getting rid of (#2) by adding "alias floppy
off" in /etc/modules.conf since I have no floppy.
Hopefully, that doesn't cause major problems
elsewhere. But I'm still having the problem with
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2129.nptl/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.o:
which I'm assuming is causing my screen to freeze.

Any advice would be much much much appreciated.  I'd
really like to have acpi enabled.  Please help.

~satya