followup on FC1, 2.6 kernel and LVM2

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 3 09:26:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, ne... wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2003 at 08:28, Robert P. J. Day in a soothing rage wrote:
>
> >  just so others can take a crack at what i'm playing with, based on what
> >i read at www.sistina.com, there is no need for me to download and build
> >the "device-mapper" software since it's already included in the 2.6 kernel
> >under "RAID and LVM".  if you're running 2.6, feel free to do a quick configure
> >and build it in yourself.
> >
> >  having done that, however, the next step would seem to be downloading
> >the latest LVM2 tarball from ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM2/tools.  if i do that,
> >unpack, and run "configure" and "make", the make aborts with:
> >make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rpjday/SW/lvm/LVM2.2.00.08/lib'
> >gcc -c -I. -I../include -DLVM1_INTERNAL -DDEVMAPPER_SUPPORT -DO_DIRECT_SUPPORT -DHAVE_LIBDL -DHAVE_GETOPTLONG -fPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Winline -O2 activate/activate.c -o activate/activate.o
> >gcc -c -I. -I../include -DLVM1_INTERNAL -DDEVMAPPER_SUPPORT -DO_DIRECT_SUPPORT -DHAVE_LIBDL -DHAVE_GETOPTLONG -fPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Winline -O2 cache/lvmcache.c -o cache/lvmcache.o
> >In file included from activate/activate.c:9:
> >activate/activate.h:13:28: libdevmapper.h: No such file or directory
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Fix this then try again.

um ... i'm not sure what kind of enlightenment i was supposed to get out
of a reply that said, basically, "you have an error.  fix the error and
try again."  if i knew how to fix the error, i wouldn't be asking for
help in fixing it, would i?

anyway, more to the point, what i'm after are fedora-compatible RPMs
for

  1) device-mapper
  2) lvm2

and i'm a bit baffled as to why they're so hard to track down.  surely
i can't be the first person who's tried this.

  rpmfind.net has no listing for either of these, rpm.pbone.net
has both lvm2 and device-mapper RPMs but they're built either for
SuSE or PLD (and the corresponding src.rpm won't build on fedora
since it's PLD format and that format uses a different and incompatible
spec file macro ... arrrgh).

  ftp.sistina.com does, of course, have the tarballs, but being a purist,
i'd prefer RPMs before reverting to tarballs.

  so, is there some reason why it's so hard to find RPMs for these two
packages?  (a google search turns up an october posting in which someone
else points out that fedora doesn't appear to have an LVM2 rpm.)

  pointers, anyone?  i can't believe it's turning out to be this hard.
i'm still looking but if anyone can save me some time, that'd be great.

rday